Thursday, June 19, 2008

It ain't Friday, but you ain't got no job... and you ain't got shit to do.

Thursday, June 19, 2008


America's slumping economy hit close to home yesterday.

5% of the employees at my company were "transitioned out" yesterday because of the rising cost of doing business in America. I'm fortunate to have not been one of them but I did work in the same office with two who were.

One was let go because his position was advancing to a point where he couldn't keep up and he became a liability. The other colleague, who I actually consider a friend, was let go because "our Marketing Department looked at ways to streamline our business needs, and have found a way to manage [his job] through outsourcing." There were others.

It's never a positive to lose your job especially in this economy which is resembling the Reagan years more and more each day, but...

**reaches for silver lining**

...he ditched a stressful job that he didn't like anyway and has other, more significant positive life changes on the horizon that may lead him back to his home state of North Carolina.

Anyway, let me get back to working on developing these cost-cutting initiatives so I can give them to my boss for review. I'm trying to get this in before it's due. You gotta shine brightly in this economy.
.

10 comments:

La said...

Ugh. Job searching is a bitch. I'm still looking in your neck of the woods.

mp1 said...

Yeah, you better turn into a super shiner for the boss! Ya never know...

Infamous said...

Forget this I'm moving to Europe. I just graduated college and am still on the job hunt, this economy is killing everyone.

fuzzy said...

you better concentrate on ya job before you are the next to boot! I aint tryin to hear that you lost ya damn job!

Darius T. Williams said...

Yea man, you're right - job security is so important these days. So are things like saving and cutting costs of your own as well. Geez...you can only ask, "what's next?"

Joey Bahamas said...

Things in this country right now are scary so shine, like a super nova or something...

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about this economy a lot lately.

That is why I am a firm believer in ALWAYS having a plan B.

Chet said...

The Transitional Phase... Welcome to Corp America. Shyte getting real tight in the work place and you are absolutely right you shine or your azz will get left behind. I do understand the need for change in this retched economy, but losing a job is not one of such changes however; if your co-worker was unhappy in his former position he may find solace and a piece of mind in another career being that he was not pleased with his former job. It is very important that we have a back up plan when these folks start to phase out positions and altering our lives as we know it.

j_shanlin said...

lmao at the title and the picture! i love you!

Mr. Jones said...

^love you back.

Post a Comment

It's no fun if you don't say anything.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin