Monday, April 16, 2007

Why can't we leave well enough alone?

Monday, April 16, 2007
I try to stay informed. In my mind, there are few things in the world worse than a person who has no clue what’s going on in the world. Since sophomore year of college, I’ve dedicated a solid hour of each morning to indulging in my news updates. My daily cocktail consists of the Washington Post, the Baltimore Sun, the (London) Times, Reuters and others. It’s what I do.

Anyway, I came across this article in the New York Times. The ‘How to Pay for College” tagline caught my eye and should probably grab the attention of any recent undergraduate (especially if they are up to their eyeballs in debt like I am – thanks University of Maryland!). Apparently, the Bush administration has decided to allow private corporations to offer colleges and universities (both public and private) inducements (read: millions of dollars) to pull out of the federal lending program created and championed by the Clinton administration in the early 90s.

It really pisses me off that Bush and his republican cronies can’t leave well enough alone. I swear this administration will do ANYTHING to appease the private sector. Why couldn’t they leave well enough alone? Kids were getting there loans without high originator fees and the like and taxpayers were saving money because the interest payments went directly to the federal government.

This is flat-out BRIBERY: “Voluntary giving of something of value to influence performance of official duty.”

Republicans are determined to defend any private business that will produce profits. I’m waiting for one of them to start up a “I’ll wipe your ass for you’ service for elitist capitalists in this country. Pubs piss me off.

Background:
New York Times - Lenders Sought Edge Against U.S. in Student Loans

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's no fun if you don't say anything.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin