Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fuck 48...you really only need, like...6

Tuesday, June 3, 2008


Robert Green's 48 Laws of Power have helped shaped the way I live my adult life. This is my list of the most impactful rules from that book. I tried to narrow this down to a top-5, but there are two rules on this list I couldn't bring myself to get rid of.

-------------------------------------------
  • Law 2 - Never put too Much Trust in Friends, Learn how to use Enemies
    Be wary of friends-they will betray you more quickly, for they are easily aroused to envy. They also become spoiled and tyrannical. But hire a former enemy and he will be more loyal than a friend, because he has more to prove. In fact, you have more to fear from friends than from enemies. If you have no enemies, find a way to make them.
  • Law 4 - Always Say Less than Necessary
    When you are trying to impress people with words, the more you say, the more common you appear, and the less in control. Even if you are saying something banal, it will seem original if you make it vague, open-ended, and sphinxlike. Powerful people impress and intimidate by saying less. The more you say, the more likely you are to say something foolish.

  • Law 5 - So Much Depends on Reputation – Guard it with your Life
    Reputation is the cornerstone of power. Through reputation alone you can intimidate and win; once you slip, however, you are vulnerable, and will be attacked on all sides. Make your reputation unassailable. Always be alert to potential attacks and thwart them before they happen. Meanwhile, learn to destroy your enemies by opening holes in their own reputations. Then stand aside and let public opinion hang them.

  • Law 15 - Crush your Enemy Totally
    All great leaders since Moses have known that a feared enemy must be crushed completely. (Sometimes they have learned this the hard way.) If one ember is left alight, no matter how dimly it smolders, a fire will eventually break out. More is lost through stopping halfway than through total annihilation: The enemy will recover, and will seek revenge. Crush him, not only in body but in spirit.

  • Law 36 - Disdain things you cannot have. Ignoring them is the best revenge.
    By acknowledging a petty problem you give it existence and credibility. The more attention you pay an enemy, the stronger you make him; and a small mistake is often made worse and more visible when you try to fix it. It is sometimes best to leave things alone. If there is something you want but cannot have, show contempt for it. The less interest you reveal, the more superior you seem.

  • Law 47 - Do not go past the mark you aimed for; in victory, learn when to stop
    The moment of victory is often the moment of greatest peril. In the heat of victory, arrogance and overconfidence can push you past the goal you had aimed for, and by going too far, you make more enemies than you defeat. Do not allow success to go to your head. There is no substitute for strategy and careful planning. Set a goal, and when you reach it, stop.

14 comments:

bLaQ~n~MiLD said...

Darmn Damn DAMN, this post was right on time for me yo ESPECIALLY #2!!! This year is turning out to be an eye opener for me concerning many of the people surrounding me and I've taken a step back for observation purposes. Gotta cut some of the bad apples.

#4 is the truth too and I've become aware that people can't take me when I speak. I've decided to keep quiet and just smile and call it a day.

#36 - I've always practiced this one. When you ignore people it only infuriates them.

Great post yo. It was so on time for me.

~Damnit!

fuzzy said...

I don't know about Law 47. I think over achieving is a good thing. Me personally If I am stopping at victory, I am in a way stunting my own growth.

Anonymous said...

You broke rule 49...you dont share the 48 laws

ShawnQt said...

I so love this post, about to read all of them now!

Anonymous said...

I looove no. 36. This can be applicable to so many things.

PRIMO said...

It's very interesting. Just started reading this book [I'm only on law #12] but it definitely opens your eyes to things around you.

Curious said...

Well these laws are really interesting, although they seem a little Machiavellian, cutthroat and shady to me. They seem like the laws that George Bush would use rather than Al Gore. They seem like laws that many successful people would use, but many others would stay clear of. Where is the love? Or am i just too liberal?

Anonymous said...

Nothing new...the bible has all this in it already.

Darius T. Williams said...

That captain is a mess...but he's got a point. I was reading this and thinking oh, this is in proverbs, and thinking didn't saul say this to paul. All of these principles are really in the bible. But thanks cuz I'm derfnitely picking up this book. I think the way these principles are conceptualized is spectacular.

yet another black guy said...

Is it me or do those laws seem like War rules?

Promiscuous X said...

Lol @ Captains comment.

Interesting post. I'll refrain from my comments due to them being negative.....SMILE

Mr. Jones said...

Blaq - Glad I could help.

Fuzzy - Think of it like a gambler in Vegas. He sits down with a goal of walking away with $20K. He wins his $20K, bets it all on the next hand and loses it. He'd won his battle. Then, he lost the war.

Anonymous - You're right.

Shawn - It's fascinating stuff. Some people aren't progressive enough to really understand it, but give it's an interesting read for sure.

Nia - Right!!!

Primo - Good for you. It sure does.

Curious - Isn't life "a little Machiavellian, cutthroat and shady"? LOL.

Randy - I wouldn't know. I don't read it.

Darius - It's on sale at my local B&N. Not sure about yours though.

YABG - Isn't life part war?

X - .........

Anonymous said...

Trust me...I noticed.

Curious said...

Is it me, or did I just see a little of Law 36 in play?

You can ignore that question if you want, I won't take it personally.

Post a Comment

It's no fun if you don't say anything.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin