Tuesday, October 30, 2007

In the market for new chill music?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Meet Explosions in the Sky, a post-rock band out of Austin, Texas (Royce, listen up) that has recently gained marginal national and international recognition and exposure. I heard about the band this weekend from my source. I try to keep my finger on the pulse of the music scene, you know.

Anyway, I, ahem, downloaded a bunch of their albums (How Strange, Innocence; The Earth is not a Cold, Dead Place; Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever; and All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone - weird titles, I know.) and they're all good.

I know everyone loves to force everything into a box, but this music doesn't really fit neatly. I really don't know what to call it. I can tell you this, though. They mostly play with electric guitars and a set of drums and a bass guitar...sometimes. Oh, there are no lyrics, so don't be expecting words (yeah, that's what post-rock means).

If their music feels cinematic (or makes you feel like you're in a movie), it's by design. The group also did the OST to the 2004 film 'Friday Night Lights' and did a damn good job, too.

If you're thinking this description makes them sounds too different (read: too white) for your tastes, then think again. You'll like them. Trust me. Here's a link to some of their stuff on You Tube. Don't sit and actively listen to it. Put it on in the background while cleaning or reading a book or baking a pie or doing whatever it is you do in your spare time.

Go on, try it. Be adventurous.

7 comments:

D.LavarJames said...

ummmmmmm, Pie!!!

LOL

yet another black guy said...

good suggestion!

life said...

You know, I just realize you were 23. I knew you were around my age, but not younger than me. Anyway, you're well rounded

E said...

Heh...I do need to be more adventurous when it comes to music. I haven't really been listening to many new artists these days. I don't know if it's because I'm old or what..*LOL*.

Kensilo said...

awww....so that is what post-rock means having no lyrics. something diffrent. Let me take a listen...

Mr. Jones said...

D.Lavar - yes, pie or whatever it is you do in your free time.

YABG - thanks!

Life - Yup, I'm 23. I'm wise beyond my years tho. lol.

E - Yeah, you should try it.

Ken - Well, post-rock really just means the music relies heavily on instrumentation. Typically, songs dont have lyrics.

One Man’s Opinion said...

TAG! YOU'RE IT!

Check the rules of the game on my post

http://newnegrogroove.blogspot.com/2007/10/tag-blogger-edition-what-happened-to.html

Post a Comment

It's no fun if you don't say anything.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin