Monday, March 2, 2009

Spotlight on Black Folks Doing the Damn Thing: Desiree Rogers, White House Social Secretary

Monday, March 2, 2009

If there's one thing you should know about Mr. Jones it's that I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seeing upwardly mobile black people doing big things. Call me what you like, but I will openly admit that it's personally fulfilling to finally see people who look like me having their time to shine after years and years and YEARS of being denied access to damn near everything.

Meet Desiree Rogers, former Chicago public relations executive and socialite and current White House Social Secretary. This 50-year-old mother of one (who, for the record, doesn't look a millisecond over 40) simply exudes class and tact. This is one little lamb chop I can truly say I live for.

Take a minute to get into the video. This interview with the Washington Post is part of its multi-part series called "Voices of Power" chronicling the new power brokers in the District. If you're interested in seeing the other interviews the Post has conducted so far, click here.

9 comments:

yet another black guy said...

Yah, spotlight on US in a positive light! And i call you adorable for doing so :)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Jones:

I was talking to my mom about Desiree Rogers just last week, telling her how nice it was to have such a sophisticated and accomplished woman as the White House Social Secretary. She has managed the Illinois Lottery, a Chicago electric company, worked in public relations, and has been an excellent community businesswoman. Her competency is simply top notch.

I even read that she wants to hold lotteries for ordinary citizens to attend White House State dinners, which is a brilliant idea. I'm not in the most ideal job situation right now and things aren't easy, but seeing exceptional college-educated African-Americans like her help to motivate me a lot. Like you, the historical signifance of upwardly mobile African-Americans never gets lost on me either. I feel like if we don't follow the lead of our trailblazers, who else will build on their accomplishments in the future?

Great post man.

dickspot said...

I'm exasperated. This Post seems very promising..... and I can't get the video to play.

Obviously it's just me........ uploading video with no fruition of Promise. Two comments before me........ Damn these I-Macs .........................

Mr. Jones said...

^Hey...it may not be you. I tried in Firefox earlier and had issues, but no such issues with IE. It worked when I posted thru Firefox tho. I haven't a clue. Try clicking th link. It takes you directly to the WaPo site.

dickspot said...

........."haven't a clue"..............

that's a Tell..........


MJ is for real.

{{ big smile }}

Vinsanity said...

Im diggin it Mr. Jones and I wrote a new blog, ya boys is back in the builidng!!! LOL

Dr.Friday said...

Thanks for spotlighting this impressive, intelligent, and stunning woman. Maybe it's just me, but she looks just like the actress Terri J. Vaughn. lol

On another note, I'm curious as to the dynamic between Ms.Rogers & her ex-husband John W Rogers, Jr. Mr. Rogers is also a close confidante to President & Mrs. Obama.

Anonymous said...

@ Dr. Friday

I was thinking the same thing about Ms. Rogers and her ex-husband. Evidently, they shared joint custody of their daughter, who I believe is in college right now. I remember reading that after their divorce, they would still have family activities together for the sake of preserving normalcy for their daughter. Its good that they can remove their differences and put their child first, which is something many parents never learn how to do.

I thought Obama was going to nominate Mr. Rogers to be Commerce Secretary or Chair of the National Economic Council, but he went with other choices. However, having an ex-couple working together in the White House might have been just a little too much! It would have made for interesting tabloids though.

Mr. Jones said...

I fixed the vid. I guess WaPo changed the code on me. Either way, it's working.

Post a Comment

It's no fun if you don't say anything.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin