Monday, October 1, 2007

Now, Weight A Minute!

Monday, October 1, 2007

I realized on Saturday that I gained 19 pounds since March 2007. Not a good look. I mean, I knew I gained weight before as the change happened gradually. It started off with 5 pounds. Then 5 pounds became 7 pounds. 7 became 10, etc.

Well, enough is enough.

I’m not happy about it, so I'm ending this streak at 19. I refuse to bitch and moan and give you the sorrowful 'woe is me’ bit. I’m going to nip this shit in the bud.

Here’s how I plan to do it:

----------------------------------

Objective: Lose thirty pounds in three months.

That may seem like a lofty goal, but I’m confident that I can do this. In fact, I’ve done this before, so I know I can do it.

Strategy #1: Limit caloric intake to 1500 calories per day.

It’s going to suck to go back to monitoring (and writing down) everything I eat and the calories I consume, but such is life. I’m not a person who can just eat whatever and still maintain a healthy weight. The sooner I accept that as fact, the better.

For me this means:
  • No sugars. (I use Splenda in pretty much everything anyway, so I should be good)
  • No soda, only water. (I only drink diet anyway, but the sodium makes me retain water)
  • At least two servings of vegetables per day. (That really shouldn't be a problem)
  • Drink minimal amounts of alcohol (no beer, no martinis, no sugary drinks....diet coke and rum = 0 calories)
  • No fast food. (I abstained once before and throughly enjoyed not eating things cooked in a cesspool of week old grease. This is actually a welcomed changed)
  • Slow down and develop a routine/schedule (I need structure for this to work right. Can't be a social butterfly like I am now, but I'm fine with that. Home, office, gym/run, home, sleep)

Strategy #2: Develop (and follow) a daily exercise regimen/routine.

In all honesty, I’ll need this for a few weeks, and then I’ll be fine when I get back into the swing of being a gym rat.

One of my co-workers and I started walking a three-mile path during our lunch hour today. That worked out well. The routine will probably be gym either in the morning or the evening and a 3-mile walk at lunch…at least until the weather gets really cold.

For me this means:

  • Daily AM or PM trips to the gym for at least 1 hour (Not going on the weekends is ok, but I should run outside those days)
  • Good mix of cardio AND weight training AND calisthenics (The cardio is no big deal. I can do that in my sleep. But, as much as I hate lifting and push-ups/sit-ups, etc., I have to do it. It's effective)
  • Get back into running outside (I hate the treadmill and, for me, it's not nearly as effective as running through the city)
  • Water, Water, Water (My body retains lots of fluids, so...I gotta drink water, plus it helps with hydration and joint lubrication and stuff)
----------------------------------

I decided to post this because I do better when I’m held accountable. I can't be held accountable If I don't tell anyone and since you all know what I'm doing and who I'm screwing, I figured I might as well let you all keep me honest.

So, hopefully I’ll successfully report back in January 08!

6 comments:

D.LavarJames said...

It's really hard to stay motivated sometimes. I hadn't been to the gym since May, and although I didn't look that much different, I felt different. So I started my gym regemine back up 2 weeks ago. And although I dread it, I drag myself back to their during my lunch hour while at work.

I never did the calorie count thing, does that really work?

So at least you know another that's tryin to stay on the fit track. =)

One Man’s Opinion said...

Hey, I'd like to join you in the quest to lose some weight. As I get older the pounds ad on...I am by no means a fat brother, but still, if I get gaining weight everywhere, but my penis, that crap won't be cute. LOL

I use to be on point, but working nights and eating late has ruined me. I need a motivator and looking in the mirror ain't doing it for me. I think I look good....LOL. Blob-able weight lost. If not you, maybe one of your readers would like to try this out. See if we can beat the weight together. Peace.

Unknown said...

I feel your pain... with a couple of planned vacations - two that include a beach, I'm working on dropping 10 myself...it's a daily project...stay on it and I'll be watching...LOL

life said...

I like how you took control. People have a tendency to be passive when it comes to their goals. You have a plan and it seems like your going to execute.

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm doing this with you! I too am keeping a food diary (or journal - that sounds more masculine). I'm in the gym three times a week and keeping it down to 2000 calories a day. I got compliments in class yesterday from two girls - so that fueled my ego a lot.

yet another black guy said...

good for you for being proactive about it. that's one of the things i like about you so much.

now, i'll just harass the shite out of you everytime we talk, to see where you're at in your regimen, lol!

Post a Comment

It's no fun if you don't say anything.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin